What is our financial policy?
Please read our financial policies and procedures below and sign in acknowledgment that you have read, understand, and accept the following.
NOTE: PAYMENT IS DUE AT THE TIME OF SERVICE FOR HEARING AID FITTINGS OR OUT OF WARRANTY SERVICE/REPAIRS
- We will verify your benefits as a courtesy, however, any amount quoted by your insurance company is stated to us by your insurance company that “it is not a guarantee of payment”.
- The benefit quotes given to us by your insurance company may also differ depending on the insurance rep contacted.
- YOU ARE ALSO RESPONSIBLE TO VERIFY YOUR OWN BENEFITS! Please contact your insurance company about coverage and copays for hearing testing and hearing aids.
- If you have an insurance benefit for hearing aids, we will bill your insurance as a courtesy at the time of the hearing aid fitting. You will be reimbursed by your insurance company once they process payment.
- We do not accept assign – If your insurance company sends us the payment, we will reimburse you that amount
- WE WILL ACCEPT AND BILL YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY AS A COURTESY, HOWEVER, PLEASE BE AWARE THERE MAY BE AN “OUT OF POCKET EXPENSE” TO YOU DUE TO:
- CO-PAYS & DEDUCTIBLES
(Ex.) “100% covered” does not necessarily mean 100% of our total costs and there may be some maximum allowable amount, or subject to a deductible.
- IF WE ARE CONSIDERED “OUT OF NETWORK”
- AS PER YOUR INSURANCE COMPANIES’ DECISION OF “MEDICAL NECESSITY”
- Diagnostic hearing tests are insurance billable, which is NOT included in the purchased price of hearing aids.
- The purchase price of hearing aids covers hearing aid-related service, including follow-up services as per your hearing aid purchase agreement.
- Your coverage is dictated by an agreement between you and your insurance company.
- If you do not agree with your insurance company’s decision, you have a right to appeal.
What if your insurance offers hearing aids through third-party vendors, like Epic, United Health Care, Amplifon, Hear USA?
Your insurance company may offer hearing aids through a third party vendor such as EPIC, HEAR-USA, United Health Care, AMPLIFON – their prices are based on a contracted rate and service structure between your insurance company and the third party. These rates and service structures may be different than our direct pricing benefits. They also may not be contracted to offer all the hearing aid models that we carry. They may offer only budget models, internet-based amplifiers, or older generations of hearing aid models. We will discuss the differences in pricing and service structure differences, benefits, and disadvantages once we know their contracted rates and services, which differs from patient to patient.
What payment options are offered?
Syracuse Hearing Solutions ACCEPTS CASH, CHECKS, VISA OR MASTERCARD, DISCOVER, AMERICAN EXPRESS as a form of payment. We also accept CareCredit, and Wells Fargo for 0% interest financing plans for up to 6, 12, or 18 months.
We offer a hearing aid leasing program through Allegro to offer a low monthly payment to help patients spread out their payments. Benefits of leasing include low monthly payments, continued maintenance and care covered in the original amount, and technology renewal every 3 years.
Payment for services is due at the time services are rendered from all uninsured patients unless payment arrangements have been approved in advance by our staff.
INSURANCE – WE BILL YOUR INSURANCE AS A COURTESY
We participate in most insurance programs, including Medicare, Excellus BCBS, Aetna, MVP, CIGNA, Child Health Plus, United Health Care, NYS Empire Plan, etc. If you have medical insurance, we are here to help you receive your maximum allowable benefits. We reserve the right to accept or deny assignment of insurance benefits. If we accept assignment of benefits it is your responsibility to supply our office with a copy of ALL your current insurance cards including Medicare. We must emphasize that our relationship is with you, not your insurance company. We are not a party to that contract. We will call your insurance as a courtesy to you, BUT it is your responsibility to call the insurance company and verify insurance coverage for services as well. All benefits quoted are a general outline and are not a guarantee of payment, as explained to us by your insurance company. While the filing of insurance claims is a courtesy that we extend to you, the balance on your account is 100% your responsibility. Please keep in mind that some of the services provided may be non-covered services. Some services may not be considered reasonable and/or necessary by Medicare or other medical insurances. It may be necessary to bill all insurances that you have, including Medicare to obtain your benefit through any secondary or tertiary insurance companies.
INSURANCE PAYMENTS DELAYS
In the event we do accept assignment of benefits and your insurance company has not paid your account in full within 60 days, you will be expected to pay your balance. If your insurance company pays later, we will refund your payment. Alternatively, you may be asked to assist us in resolving issues with your insurance company to avoid holding you responsible for unpaid claims.
CHANGES IN INSURANCE COVERAGE
If you have a change in insurance coverage, it is your responsibility to make sure we have ALL the pertinent information on file including new phone numbers, addresses or other contact information. Any expenses not covered by your insurance plan will be billed to you.
Medicaid/Fidelis/Molina/United Community Plan
Syracuse Hearing Solutions is currently closed to additional patients that have Medicaid. Please understand that we may not always be able to continue your care with that payment source.
NON-PARTICIPATING INSURANCE PLANS
If Syracuse Hearing Solutions does not participate with your insurance plan, there are several options available:
- You may pay the balance in full today and request an itemized statement of the visit and file a claim with your insurance.
- We can file a claim to your insurance company on your behalf, which does not guarantee payment based on your insurance policy.
- You may contact our billing office to set-up a payment arrangement splitting today’s balance into two equal monthly payments. A credit card number will be securely held by our office until payment is made in full.
USUAL AND CUSTOMARY
Our charges are based on the usual and customary rates, and lower than most national average prices based on our geographical location and is generally considered to fall within the acceptable range by most insurance companies. If your insurance company decides to deny based on unreasonable or uncustomary charges, you need to contact them to appeal.
The clinic will accept assignments for hearing testing. Medicare will only cover hearing testing (restrictions apply); they will NOT COVER new hearing aids and any adjustments to your current ones. We have to submit any claims to Medicare for an automatic denial for hearing aids, which will get pushed over to your secondary or other insurances for billing and payment processing.
It is your responsibility to inform us of the carrier’s name and address, contact person, telephone number, and claim number. It is to be understood that you are 100% responsible for services not covered by your Worker’s Compensation Plan.
NEW-BORN INSURANCE COVERAGE
It is your responsibility to make sure your newborn child is added to your insurance. If you do not have your child added to your insurance plan, you will be considered a self-pay patient and payment in full will be expected from you.
CO-PAYS AND DEDUCTIBLES
Co-pays and deductibles are your responsibility – no exclusions. Be advised that your account may be sent to an outside collection agency even for a small balance if it is not settled by the due date.
“NO-SHOW” AND CANCELLED APPOINTMENTS
If you are unable to keep your scheduled appointment, PLEASE be courteous by canceling or rescheduling at least 24 hours in advance. Failure to do so results in higher costs and inconvenience to other patients.
COLLECTION LETTERS AND PAYMENT PLANS
If you receive a collection letter from us the most important thing you can do is contact us. We will assist you in setting up satisfactory payment arrangements. We realize that temporary financial problems may affect timely payment of your account. If such problems do arise, we encourage you to contact us promptly for assistance in the management of your account. Payment plans are available by contacting our Billing Official at (315) 468-2985 Monday through Thursday between the hours of 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM.
You agree to pay a finance charge at the rate of the greater $5.00 or 1% for each subsequent monthly statement on all unpaid balances commencing 60 days from the date of service or date of initial billing. You also agree to pay a $40.00 service charge on all return checks or cancelled checks. If your account becomes delinquent, you agree to pay any additional charges to collect your unpaid bills, including but not limited to, reasonable attorney fees, court costs and collection agency fees. By agreeing with this policy you do acknowledge that we reserve the right to release any patient information to an outside collection agency deemed necessary to assist their staff and their attorneys in the collection of this debt.